Language requirements

Enrolment in a Master’s Degree Programme

LUCA School of Arts offers both master’s programme in English and Dutch:

English taught masters

Only the programs as listed on are full-time English taught degree programs. These programmes are mainly offered at the LUCA campuses in Brussels or Leuven.

Dutch taught masters for international students

The official language of the other LUCA master’s programmes is Dutch. We offer MA’s at the LUCA campuses in Gent, Leuven, Genk and Brussels. Proficiency in Dutch is recommended, but because most master’s programmes consist of a considerable amount of elective courses taught in English international students with a good command of the English language are also welcome to attend the Dutch taught master’s courses. Moreover, practical course components (such as studio practice, music, …) are taught in small groups making it easier to accommodate international students.

We accept the following certificates with regard to language proficiency in Dutch or English

  • English language proficiency. The required level of English to study at KU Leuven is level B2. This can be proved in various ways such as:
    • a diploma of higher education obtained at an institute of higher education in one of the inner circle countries (United Kingdom, USA, New Zealand, Australia, English-speaking Canada , Ireland, Caribbean Islands, South Africa)
    • TOEFL paper based test (PBT):: minimum score 550
    • TOEFL computer based test (CBT): minimum score 213
    • TOEFL internet based test (iBT): minimum score 79 
    • IELTS: 6.5
    • TOEIC Listening 490 + Reading 455 + Speaking 200 + Writing 200
    • Cambridge English Exams:
      • Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) grade A, B or C
      • Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)  minimum score 176
      • First Certificate in English (FCE) : minimum score 179
    • ITACE test level B2 (only for applicants who are already residing in Belgium)
    • Students who have obtained a diploma of Secondary or Higher Education in Flanders or the Netherlands, can upload a copy of the Flemish or Dutch diploma when the application form asks for a language certificate. A language certificate is not mandatory, but can be submitted optionally.


  • Dutch language proficiency:
    • a proof that the applicant has successfully followed a Dutch-language study programme of at least one year, either at an institute of Higher Education or a Secondary School, or successfully completed at least 54 ECTS credits in a Dutch taught higher education degree programme.
    • a Dutch language certificate that is recognized by the Dutch language (Nederlandse Taalunie) and that grants access to higher education.
    • language certificate Level 5 (or B2)
    • a certificate PTHO (Profiel Taalvaardigheid Hoger Onderwijs) awarded by “Nederlandse Taalunie, Certificaat Nederlands als Vreemde Taal (CnaVT);
    • a certificate PAT (Profiel Academische Taalvaardigheid) awarded by “Nederlandse Taalunie, Certificaat Nederlands als Vreemde Taal (CnaVT).
    • a certificate issued by an Adult Learning Centre (in Dutch: CVO or Centrum voor Volwassenenonderwijs”), minimum level 3

©2018 LUCA School of Arts. Lees onze gebruiksvoorwaarden en privacybeleid.

website by